Saturday 6 February 2010

Keira Knightley


Misanthrope -noun


a hater of humankind.







Briony and I head into central on Tuesday to see Keira Knightley's first stage performance of Misanthrope, at the Comedy Theatre in Piccadilly Circus. I am delighted to report that she only pouted once throughout the whole performance! Playing a bitchy Hollywood startlet, I was slightly weary of the American accent she adopted but I think she held it throughout and it wasn't too whiny.


Having not read this play before I was very impressed. Sat at the very top I paid a pound to get some binoculars and it was quite nice to get a view close up and from far away. Whether it be because I wasn't very observant, but I didn't realise it was rhyme until 20minutes into the performance. After I realised this, I found that I listened so much more to the words and the story. A play poignant to society today Damien Lewis acts along side Knightley and plays the misanthropic Alceste, transforming into a terminally disgruntled playwright in Crimp's adaptation. I throroughly enjoyed this performance and The Comedy Theatre provided another brilliant performance.
Misanthrope

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I couldn't watch her for a whole play... shes awful!! x

    ReplyDelete